Guest Lectures Series & Other Events
Guest Lecture Series
As part of our comprehensive program, we have a number of outstanding guest lectures that give you a chance to hear first-hand accounts from successful business people, government officials, diplomats, policy leaders, and academics. These lectures are designed to complement what you are learning in your classes and internship. Covering a wide variety of topics, the events are lively, interactive, and challenging.
Guest lectures in the past include:
- Ms. Bonnie McElveen-Hunter, Former U.S. Ambassador to Finland
- Mr. Ilmars Rimsevics, Governor, Bank of Latvia
- Mr. Craig R. Stapleton, Mr. William J. Cabaniss, Mr. Richard W. Graber, and Mr. Norman L. Eisen, Fmr. U.S. Ambassadors to the Czech Republic
- Ms. Eliska Coolidge, Former White House Official
- Mr. Michal Mejstrik, Director of Economics Department, Charles University
- Mr. Daniel Daianu, Former Finance Minister, Romania
- Mr. Tomáš Sedláček, Chief Macroeconomic Strategist, ČSOB
- Dr. Ivan Mikloš, Former Finance Minister, Slovak Republic
Every summer a group of young TFAS Prague alumni return to Prague sharing their academic and professional experiences with the current class. The alumni serve on a professional/career development panel then spend the weekend during the institute further cultivating networks between the alumni and current TFAS Prague class.
TFAS Prague Graduation
Since 1994, a current or former head of a European nation has come to Prague to specifically deliver the annual graduation keynote address. These leaders were recognized for their strong economic development through their implementation of free market economics in their countries. Some of these past speakers have included:
- Mr. Lech Walesa, Former President of Poland
- Mr. Arpad Goncz, Former President of Hungary
- Mr. Mikulas Dzurinda, Former President of Slovakia
- Ms. Vaira Vike-Freiberga, Former President of Latvia
- Mr. Zoran Djindjic, Former Prime Minister of Serbia
- Mr. Mart Laar, Former Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mr. Valdas Adamkus, Former President of Lithuania
- Mr. Andrus Ansip, Prime Minister of Estonia
- Mr. Jose Maria Aznar, Former Prime Minister of Spain
- Mr. Donald Tusk, Former Prime Minister of Poland; President of European Council (as of 1 December 2014)
Cultural Presentations Dinner
During this annual event, students showcase their countries or cultures through traditional dance, costumes, songs, poems and cuisine. This is a unique opportunity for students to share their traditions and provide information for others to come and visit their homelands. Each group is given 2-3 minutes to prepare something entertaining for every student to enjoy.
Towards the beginning of TFAS Prague, students will gather at a local bowling alley to get to know each other and to showcase their bowling skills.
Walking Tour of Prague
The best way to get to know a new place is to go exploring! On one of the first days of the programs, students go on a walking tour of the beautiful, historical city. Starting on the grounds of Prague Castle, a sprawling complex situated atop a large hill on the west bank of the Vltava River, students will wind their way through Malá Strana (Lesser Town), rub the statue of St. John of Nepomuk on the Charles Bridge (it will bring good luck and to ensure that you return to Prague soon), wander through the narrow streets of Staré Město (Old Town), and end at the world famous Prague Astronomical Clock in the Old Town Square.
Terezín, Czech Republic-Nazi Jewish Ghetto
TFAS Prague organizes a tour of the infamous Nazi Jewish Ghetto, Camp, and Crematorium located in the town of Terezín, Czech Republic. TFAS believes that our participants should visit a primary example of the horrors of fascism and genocide practiced by the Nazis. The experienced is designed for all participants who either live in the region or participants who have never learned about (or learned very little) about the Holocaust and the evil dangers of a fascist and racist regime.