What Types of Participants Are We Looking for?
TFAS International is looking for individuals who want to make a difference in the world and are excited to learn in an international setting.
When making admissions and scholarship decisions, the admissions committee looks at the whole individual. We are seeking well-rounded participants with strong academic performance, leadership ability, relevant professional experience, community involvement, maturity and intellectual curiosity.
Please note a strong command of English is required, as each of our programs is conducted entirely in English.
We welcome students from all majors and backgrounds as well as recent graduates. The majority of participants in each of our academic programs hail from the region where the program is located. We do consider applications from students who are from outside the region, especially if these applicants demonstrate a specific interest in the region or the academic focus of the program.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have completed at least one semester of undergraduate study at an accredited college or university before applying to attend one of the programs.
The European Journalism Institute (EJI) is open to both journalism professionals as well as upper-level students of journalism from all around the world.
Completed applications are reviewed after the application deadline. Applicants will be accepted, declined or alternated within approximately 3 weeks of the deadline. Scholarship awards are announced at the time of admission and will appear in your acceptance letter.
Application status and admissions decisions are accessible within the online application system. As soon as a decision has been made on your application we will notify you by email. If you are accepted to the program, you will be given 2-3 weeks to accept or decline the offer of admission.
Applications are reviewed after the application deadline. To qualify , you must submit the online application form by 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) eastern time on the deadline. All supporting materials must also be received by the deadline.
- 2021 Application Deadline: February 15
- 2021 Application Deadline: March 1
- 2021 Application Deadline: March 1
European Journalism Institute
- 2021 Application Deadline: March 15
All applicants are required to complete the online application. Supplemental materials must be sent in via email, post, or fax using the contact information below. Please keep in mind that your application will not be sent to the admissions committee for review until all of the required materials have been received.
- One-page Resume/CV
- Statement of Purpose (250– 500 words)
- Topical Essay (500 – 1000 words): Check online application for essay topic.
- NOT required for TFAS Asia or EJI
- Sample Work (EJI only): A submitted or published article or project you believe is your best work.
- Recommendation: One recommendation letter with this cover sheet from a professor, dean, academic advisor, current/past employer or internship supervisor which must be sent through the online application system, via fax or email using the contact information provided.
- Official Transcript(s) (TFAS Asia only): The official transcript from your most recent university attended may be uploaded in the online application, emailed, mailed in a sealed envelope, or faxed using the contact information below.
Students wishing to apply for a scholarship MUST do so when submitting their application for admission.
- Scholarship Statement (250 words or less): “Write a brief statement describing your need for a scholarship.” Must be uploaded into the online application system.
- Optional Personal Financial Materials: Must be uploaded into the online application or sent via fax or mail using the contact information below.
- U.S. students: either a Student Aid Report or your most recent Tax Return. An SAR is accessible at www.fafsa.ed.gov with PIN and password.
- International students: documentation of current funding you receive to study at university, or other proof of financial support.
Applicants to TFAS International programs should have a valid passport or be in the process of applying for a passport in conjunction with the submission of their application; you are exempt from this requirement if you are from the program country, or a citizen of a country admitted with national government ID to the program country. If you are accepted to a TFAS program, you will be asked to submit your passport information (or national government ID) in the enrollment process. Please make sure that your passport will NOT expire within 6 months of the final program date.
You can refer to the information below for visa requirements by program. More detailed information will be provided to participants needing a visa following enrollment to a TFAS program.
Citizens from South America, the European Union, the U.S., Canada and Australia do not need tourist visas. However, some countries must pay a tax in cash (reciprocity tax) upon arriving at the airport in Chile. CLICK HERE to determine the requirements for citizens from your home country traveling to Chile.
Citizens from the U.S. and much of Asia do not need tourist visas. CLICK HERE to determine the requirements for citizens from your home country traveling to Singapore. Please note the fee for obtaining a visa for Singapore is $30 SGD (approximately $22 USD).
TFAS Prague + European Journalism Institute
Citizens from this list of countries need visas to enter the Czech Republic. Please note, Schengen area countries may use their national government ID for entry.
All participants must view and sign The Fund for American Studies program policies upon enrollment. Please click on the links below to view the policies for our academic and professional programs, including terms of final payment, refunds, withdrawals, student participation and code of conduct.